Friday, April 25, 2014

Relatively Recently Read

I enjoyed this one for a few reasons. A lot of the writing and observations are very good. The protagonist is compelling - not perfect, not a hero, but a complex young woman figuring out her way in a world that feels slightly beyond her control or even understanding. I liked some of the ideas Kushner examines - life as authentically lived or as performance, explorations of loyalty and betrayal, what is and isn't art. And she put me into worlds I knew nothing about, which was interesting (left-wing militants in Italy in the 1970s, speed-demons on the Bonneville Salt Flats). I'm not sold on the ending, which seemed to me a little like running out of steam. I don't mind leaving things unresolved, but this felt a little too loose. Overall, though, a good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment